Flat design is a minimalist design style that uses simple shapes, bright colors, and bold typography. It is a reaction to the skeuomorphic design style that was popular in the early days of smartphones and tablets. Skeuomorphic design used realistic textures and shadows to make digital interfaces look more like real-world objects. However, skeuomorphic design was often criticized for being cluttered and difficult to use.
Benefits of flat design
There are a number of benefits to using flat design in web design:
- Improved user experience: Flat design is easier to read and navigate than skeuomorphic design. This is because flat design interfaces are less cluttered and have fewer distractions.
- Increased engagement: Flat design is more visually appealing than skeuomorphic design. This can lead to increased engagement from users.
- Reduced development time and costs: Flat design is easier to develop than skeuomorphic design. This is because flat design interfaces are simpler and require less code.
How to implement flat design
There are a few different ways to implement flat design in web design:
- Use a CSS framework: There are a number of CSS frameworks available that can help you create flat designs. Some popular CSS frameworks for flat design include Bootstrap, Foundation, and Material Design Lite.
- Use a content management system: Many content management systems (CMSs) now come with built-in support for flat design. For example, WordPress and Drupal both have themes and plugins that can help you create flat designs.
- Create your own design: It is also possible to create your own flat design from scratch. This gives you more control over the look and feel of your website. However, it is important to have a good understanding of CSS and HTML in order to create a custom flat design.
Here are a few tips for creating flat design websites:
- Use simple shapes: Flat design uses simple shapes like squares, circles, and rectangles. Avoid using complex shapes and textures.
- Use bright colors: Flat design uses bright colors to make interfaces stand out. However, be careful not to overuse colors, as this can make your interface look cluttered.
- Use bold typography: Flat design uses bold typography to make text easy to read. Choose a font family that is easy to read on both large and small screens.
- Use white space: White space is important in flat design. It helps to separate elements and make your interface look less cluttered.
- Use shadows sparingly: Shadows can be used to add depth to your interface, but be careful not to overuse them. Too many shadows can make your interface look cluttered and unprofessional.
Examples of flat design websites
Here are a few examples of flat design websites:
- Google: Google’s website uses a simple and clean flat design. The website is easy to navigate and the content is easy to read.
- Apple: Apple’s website also uses a flat design. The website is very visually appealing and the products are showcased in a prominent way.
- Microsoft: Microsoft’s website uses a flat design that is both modern and professional. The website is easy to navigate and the content is well-organized.
Flat design is a popular and effective design style for web design. It is easy to implement and can lead to a number of benefits, including improved user experience, increased engagement, and reduced development time and costs. If you are looking to create a modern and user-friendly website, flat design is a great option to consider.